It’s not too often you come across a recipe that is a favorite amongst anyone who’s tried it. That’s why we’re excited to provide Weber®’s Triple Play Barbecued Chicken! So, we want to give a huge thanks to Weber® for providing this recipe, it’s simply a piece of artwork.
Here’s what you’ll need in order to get started:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup lemon-lime carbonated beverage (NOT DIET)
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole chicken legs, 10 – 12 oz. each, cut into thighs and drumsticks
Wood Chips for Smoking:
- 2 handfuls of hickory wood chips. (Soak them in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use)
How to Prepare the Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the oil, onion, and garlic until golden (~10 minutes) all the while stirring often. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cook until it’s slightly thickened (~10 – 15 minutes) all the while stirring often.
How to Prepare and Apply the Rub Ingredients:
- In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients. Sprinkle the rub evenly all over the chicken pieces. Let the chicken stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes prior to grilling. Prep the grill for both direct and indirect cooking over medium heat.
Now, Let’s Get to the Grill!
- First, make certain the grilling grates are completely clean utilizing a strong wire brush. Next, grill the chicken, skin side down, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until golden brown for 8 – 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Now, move the chicken pieces over indirect medium heat. Drain and scatter the wood chips over the lit charcoal or put them in the smoker box of your gas grill (following the manufacturer’s instructions). Continue grilling the chicken, with the lid closed, for about 20 minutes. Now it’s time to apply the sauce!
- Brush both sides with a thin layer of the sauce and cook until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, about 15 minutes, occasionally turning and brushing with the sauce.
- Serve the chicken warm with the remaining sauce as a side condiment
- That’s it!
By far, this is one of the easiest and tastiest chicken dishes you can prepare. It’s so simple, yet so incredibly tasty and scrumptious. If you think of yourself as an amateur griller and feel overwhelmed by cooking mixtures of sauces and rubs, after trying this method you’ll feel like a pro. In addition to feeling like a grilling pro, your family or guests will be in awe of how wonderful of a cook you are!
When looking for new recipes, keep an eye out within our Knowledge Center. We want to provide the best grilling recipes in Saudi Arabia and the entire Middle East. We will be constantly updating our recipes so stay tuned. If you ever want to get in contact with us, call us at +966.13.845.6798 and we will be more than happy to assist you in any way possible. Once again, thank you to Weber® for this incredible grilling recipe! We look forward to hearing from you soon, and happy grilling!